suepaints

Tip Shop Trash Or Treasure ? (Crazy Prices)

36 posts in this topic

So i got a tip off that there would be some old school gold at the local tip shop this morning,

i got there at 6am didnt want to miss out on the major prize...

I was the first one to get to this magnificent tip off winner takes all prize...

but it came at a price (a huge price for a tip shop recycle centre) $1000 to be precise.

1k for a run down bmx bike ... WTF? Please login or register to see this image. /emoticons/default_huh.gif" alt="???">

I decided some advice on what i should pay for something like this was in order, so a few ph calls to the don,

and then a few more with some good negotiation information, and i was ready to bargain.

These guys were tough as they had googled pk ripper and assumed that every pk was worth 2.5 trillion no matter the condition.......ok, sorry for babbling on, i ended up payin $600 for it. What do you guys think?

Did i pay too much? Did i get a good buy? Bad buy? Impulse buy?

My little mate Darcey calls me crazy sue ... lmfao, i think he's right !!!

1983 pk ripper with tange forks, frame is pretty clean with drops a little chewed but not too bad.

gen 3 profile cranks, (need rechrome) suntour bear trap pedals (still a newbie not sure of correct term)

mid school gt bars, uni seat, suntour stem, mx 1000 brake caliper (i think) suntour seat clamp.

wheels are steel boat anchors. brake lever ***e as well

Your thoughts are appreciated good or bad, i am interested in what you guys have to say !!!

AND NO I AM NOT PARTING IT OUT AT THIS STAGE !!

Thanks for reading and have a good weekend Please login or register to see this image. /emoticons/_yahoo_mini.gif" alt=":yahoo_mini:"> :yahoo_mini: Please login or register to see this image. /emoticons/_yahoo_mini.gif" alt=":yahoo_mini:"> :yahoo_mini:

Cool tip shop bike love the stem install so

how did the tip shop know it is was high value bmx?

WOW the cranks and frame and forks are good value, but gee's they did their homework I hope my local one doesn't do that...they thought they got one over on me when I paid 20 bucks for a x gusset hotfoot a while back...I bought it for the blue tuffs that where on it Please login or register to see this image. /emoticons/_biggrin_mini2.gif" alt=":D" srcset="http://www.ozbmx.com.au/uploads/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" width="17" height="17">

Then I went back and grabbed the 1939 Malvern Star 2 star tandem for 8 bucks later....wierdo's

You got ripped off Sue, I'll give you $100 and you'll just have to cut your loses....Please login or register to see this image. /emoticons/default_wink.png" alt=";)" srcset="http://www.ozbmx.com.au/uploads/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" width="20" height="20">Please login or register to see this image. /emoticons/_laugh_mini.gif" alt=":laugh_mini:">

if you could afford to shell out 600 then it's a good buy I reckon. Great parts on it for sure.

people are pretty clued up these days, even tip shops...it's not hard for someone to Google "old alloy bmx" and see what comes up.

My local Salvos even pays a guy to come in every morning and appraise everything before it goes onto the shop floor.

Great pick up for 600 IMO

Looks like everyone is in for a piece of the pie.

Out of interest is your tip shop the same as a op shop ie charity run? Or private owned salvage yard?

Curious cause there isn't one that I know of in The Sydney area.

Well done Sue to get em down $400.00 bucks

My local tip shop has done their homework on old school bmx over the last couple of years .... In the past I have know them to sell a Pk ripper, A 24 inch Kuwahara, Two Mongoose Motomags. all for at the most $100.00 per item. (not to me but too a mate who has a good relationship with them and also gets a heads up).

Nowadays they google BMX Musuem , OZBMX and Ebay prices and then put a value on par with the latest sale price ....Sux big time.

These guys are part of a privately owned business that have won the recycling contract at several dump shops across Brisbane ... So I think you have done well ...

Yep worth every penny sue. Give it some love and it will come up a treat.

What are the bars they look ginormas in the pics

Yeah they price everything to eBay prices , the crazy thing is somebody threw it out!

/>

What are the bars they look ginormas in the pics

mid school gt I think

And yeah hoagie a privately owned company has bought the rights to sell the stuff that's been dumped but $1000 ... They're out of control !!

Prices are out of control ..They are matching the market.

Hate to see what happens if they find a Helium.

Northside or Southside?

Its the local dump Lucien so basically anything that has been dumped an is sellable gets taken over to a separate yard and is open to the public for sale at whatever the staff think it is worth , a few months back you could pick up a bargain bit now they research everything before they price it.

WOW the cranks and frame and forks are good value, but gee's they did their homework I hope my local one doesn't do that...they thought they got one over on me when I paid 20 bucks for a x gusset hotfoot a while back...I bought it for the blue tuffs that where on it Please login or register to see this image. /emoticons/_biggrin_mini2.gif" alt=":D" srcset="http://www.ozbmx.com.au/uploads/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" width="17" height="17">

Then I went back and grabbed the 1939 Malvern Star 2 star tandem for 8 bucks later....wierdo's

they did get one over you if you paid $20 for a hotfoot . lol

at my tip shop we have to make our own wages so that bike pretty much payed 1 guys wage for a week....

I can understand where they are coming from when they see a bike they sold for 10 bucks listed on Ebay for $100.00 ...It's only a matter of time before they get on board the flip train for themselves.

Good score for 600 Sue as I just bought a goose of the guy who work's there and he told me the story behind it ,Friggin good pick up I tell ya . Sweet .

Good pick up Sue, I tell ya these guys at the tips are onto anything bmx now and want a pretty penny for it too, was that Ripoolture tip??

Caboolture !

Oh wow I was thinking you must have meant the Archerfield tip shop... That one is crazy expensive on pretty much everything... Broken furniture, worn out kid's toys - you name it. It's going for top dollar...

I've got no idea on the PK value though... So seems like some of those parts make it a good deal anyway?

Yep, some even sell stuff on ebay as well now, there is still good buys from them every now and again but most are on to it now, most salvos etc charge good $$$ as well

Well if I was going to flip it then prob not the best deal but I want to restore it so I think the price was fair considering no cracks etc.

just what I need though, another project lol

Yep, some even sell stuff on ebay as well now, there is still good buys from them every now and again but most are on to it now, most salvos etc charge good $$$ as well

At least when it's the Salvo's the money is for a good cause... I don't mind paying a little more for stuff in charity run op shops. Council tip shops (like the one I mentioned above) are making public money which is cool too, but just not when they are selling actual junk and charging stupid prices for it. People stop going to them pretty quick when they do that.

In the US there are a bunch of charity/goodwill stores with their own ebay stores I've found. Somewhere to put the cool bikes, guitars and cameras they find etc. At least those usually auction stuff to get market value. It's fair enough they get the money rather than flippers anyway.

At least when it's the Salvo's the money is for a good cause... I don't mind paying a little more for stuff in charity run op shops. Council tip shops (like the one I mentioned above) are making public money which is cool too, but just not when they are selling actual junk and charging stupid prices for it. People stop going to them pretty quick when they do that.

having grown up in Starvation Army institutions you wouldn't say that

i have seen first hand where they look after them selves first the small amount that they show going to help others

is a very small percentage

as a young by in a childrens home i rember them doing radio calls using us kids to help preswade people to

donate we (the children in the home didn't see any of it) it was sold in the opp shops so after 13 years of seeing this i'm sorry

but i just have to laugh at the salvo's