Tip Shop Trash Or Treasure ? (Crazy Prices)

• You cannot reply to this topic
36 replies to this topic

suepaints

suepaints

OZBMX Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

So i got a tip off that there would be some old school gold at the local tip shop this morning,

i got there at 6am didnt want to miss out on the major prize...

I was the first one to get to this magnificent tip off winner takes all prize...

but it came at a price (a huge price for a tip shop recycle centre) $1000 to be precise.

1k for a run down bmx bike ... WTF? ???

I decided some advice on what i should pay for something like this was in order, so a few ph calls to the don,

and then a few more with some good negotiation information, and i was ready to bargain.

These guys were tough as they had googled pk ripper and assumed that every pk was worth 2.5 trillion no matter the condition.......ok, sorry for babbling on, i ended up payin $600 for it. What do you guys think?

Did i pay too much?  Did i get a good buy?  Bad buy?  Impulse buy?

My little mate Darcey calls me crazy sue ... lmfao, i think he's right !!!

1983 pk ripper with tange forks, frame is pretty clean with drops a little chewed but not too bad.

[attachment=58559:pk 001.JPG]

gen 3 profile cranks, (need rechrome) suntour bear trap pedals (still a newbie not sure of correct term)

mid school gt bars, uni seat, suntour stem, mx 1000 brake caliper (i think)  suntour seat clamp.

wheels are steel boat anchors. brake lever ***e as well

[attachment=58561:pk 004.JPG]

[attachment=58560:pk 002.JPG]

Your thoughts are appreciated good or bad, i am interested in what you guys have to say !!!

AND NO I AM NOT PARTING IT OUT AT THIS STAGE !!

Thanks for reading and have a good weekend :yahoo_mini: :yahoo_mini: :yahoo_mini: :yahoo_mini:

BJW27

BJW27

OZBMX Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts
Cool tip shop bike love the stem install so

lpic

lpic

OZBMX Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts

how did the tip shop know it is was high value bmx?

RL20II_too

RL20II_too

TTR 666 Natural Born Chiller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts

WOW the cranks and frame and forks are good value, but gee's they did their homework I hope my local one doesn't do that...they thought they got one over on me when I paid 20 bucks for a x gusset hotfoot a while back...I bought it for the blue tuffs that where on it :D

Then I went back and grabbed the 1939 Malvern Star 2 star tandem for 8 bucks later....wierdo's

daripper

daripper

Zero interest in irrelevance

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

600 seems fair, not downright free, but pretty good,

Nice cranks and Frame for sure.... the ARX forks are pretty cool aswell

Hencebmx

Hencebmx

Adults are just kids with money. ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

You got ripped off Sue, I'll give you $100 and you'll just have to cut your loses....;)  :laugh_mini:

jimmy boy

jimmy boy

Hipster Douchebag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

if you could afford to shell out 600 then it's a good buy I reckon. Great parts on it for sure.

people are pretty clued up these days, even tip shops...it's not hard for someone to Google "old alloy bmx" and see what comes up.

My local Salvos even pays a guy to come in every morning and appraise everything before it goes onto the shop floor.

LUCIEN6PACK

LUCIEN6PACK

OZBMX Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts
Great pick up for 600 IMO
Looks like everyone is in for a piece of the pie.
Out of interest is your tip shop the same as a op shop ie charity run? Or private owned salvage yard?
Curious cause there isn't one that I know of in The Sydney area.

Hoagie

Hoagie

OZBMX Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
Well done Sue to get em down $400.00 bucks
My local tip shop has done their homework on old school bmx over the last couple of years .... In the past I have know them to sell a Pk ripper, A 24 inch Kuwahara, Two Mongoose Motomags. all for at the most $100.00 per item. (not to me but too a mate who has a good relationship with them and also gets a heads up).
Nowadays they google BMX Musuem , OZBMX and Ebay prices and then put a value on par with the latest sale price ....Sux big time.
These guys are part of a privately owned business that have won the recycling contract at several dump shops across Brisbane ... So I think you have done well ...

motomag

motomag

OZBMX Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts
Yep worth every penny sue. Give it some love and it will come up a treat.

ScaryFast

ScaryFast

OZBMX Champ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 911 posts

What are the bars they look ginormas in the pics

suepaints

suepaints

OZBMX Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
Yeah they price everything to eBay prices , the crazy thing is somebody threw it out!

/>
What are the bars they look ginormas in the pics

mid school gt I think

suepaints

suepaints

OZBMX Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
And yeah hoagie a privately owned company has bought the rights to sell the stuff that's been dumped but $1000 ... They're out of control !!

Hoagie

Hoagie

OZBMX Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
Prices are out of control ..They are matching the market.
Hate to see what happens if they find a Helium.
Northside or Southside?

suepaints

suepaints

OZBMX Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
Caboolture !

suepaints

suepaints

OZBMX Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
Its the local dump Lucien so basically anything that has been dumped an is sellable gets taken over to a separate yard and is open to the public for sale at whatever the staff think it is worth , a few months back you could pick up a bargain bit now they research everything before they price it.

FaTrIg

FaTrIg

JUST A ROAD HAMMER REAL GEAR JAMMER....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

WOW the cranks and frame and forks are good value, but gee's they did their homework I hope my local one doesn't do that...they thought they got one over on me when I paid 20 bucks for a x gusset hotfoot a while back...I bought it for the blue tuffs that where on it :D

Then I went back and grabbed the 1939 Malvern Star 2 star tandem for 8 bucks later....wierdo's

they did get one over you if you paid $20 for a hotfoot . lol

KuwCru

KuwCru

New baby Girl Harlee is now 18 months old !!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

at my tip shop we have to make our own wages so that bike pretty much payed 1 guys wage for a week....

Hoagie

Hoagie

OZBMX Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
I can understand where they are coming from when they see a bike they sold for 10 bucks listed on Ebay for $100.00 ...It's only a matter of time before they get on board the flip train for themselves.

bull dust bloke

bull dust bloke

OZBMX Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 407 posts

Good score for 600 Sue as I just bought a goose of the guy who work's there and he told me the story behind it ,Friggin good pick up I tell ya . Sweet .